UAE: Cultural Representation and Re-Creating Emirates Environment in International Films and its Implications for Tourism
This article aims to highlight the role and importance of the cinema in raising tourism, introducing the UAE's tourism potential, promoting and attracting tourism, and increasing local development. Because 'there is [.] a lack of data-driven academic research that measures the effects of film industry on local tourism' (Tkalec et al. 2017, p.705). Further, 'the impacts of film tourism still appear to be under-appreciated. Though the effects of film tourism can have significant long-term benefits' (Hudson, 2011, p. 165). Likewise, Connell and Meyer argue that 'understanding of the experiences of screen tourists in film and TV locations remains an emerging area of inquiry' (2009, p. 194). This article 'evaluates the effects of film industry on tourism outcomes' (Tkalec et al. 2017, p.705) in the UAE.
The article interpreted the films' portrayal to reveal how UAE's culture and the environment were represented in the international movies filmed in the UAE. Cities of UAEs are not merely replicated in international films but constructed anew; reimagined, or repurposed according to filmmakers' and cinematographers' points of view and the role of those cities within that vision. Huge attention, however, is paid to representing the UAE's cities in international films. How do the filmmakers contribute to portraying the UAE and represent the knowledge on-screen in the filming process? Reviewing international filming in the UAE will explore possible answers to these informed questions.
2. Connell, J., and Meyer, D., (2009). Balamory revisited: An evaluation of the screen tourism destination-tourist nexus. Tourism Management, V. 30 (2), P. 194-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.06.001
3. Dyer, R., (2002). The matter of images: Essays on representation. 2nd ed, Routledge, London and New York, p 1-18.
4. Granholm. (2012). The Serpent Rises in the West: Positive Orientalism and Reinterpretation of Tantra. In the Western Left-Hand Path. In Transformations and Transfer of Tantra in Asia and Beyond (Vol.52, pp. 495–520). https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110258110.495
5. Hudson, S. (2011), "Working together to leverage film tourism: collaboration between the film and tourism industries", Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, Vol. 3 No. 2, pp. 165-172. https://doi.org/10.1108/17554211111123023
6. Kim, S., Suri, G., and Park, E., (2018). Changes in Local Residents' Perceptions and Attitudes Towards the Impact of Film Tourism: The Case of Eat Pray Love (EPL) Film Tourism in Ubud, Bali, p. 125-138. In film tourism in Asia: evolution, transformation, and trajectory (S. Kim & S. Reijnders, Eds.). Springer Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-5909-4
7. Koeck, R. (2012). Cine-scapes: Cinematic Spaces in Architecture and Cities. Taylor and Francis. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203721186
8. Mani, L., & Frankenberg, R. (1985). The Challenge of Orientalism. Economy and Society, 14(2), 174–192. https://doi.org/10.1080/03085148500000009
9. Middleton, V.T.C. and Clarke, J. (2001) 3rd ed. Marketing in Travel and Tourism. Butterworth Heinemann. Oxford.
10. Papastathopoulos, A., Ahmad, S. Z., Al Sabri, N., & Kaminakis, K. (2020). Demographic Analysis of Residents' Support for Tourism Development in the UAE: A Bayesian Structural Equation Modeling Multigroup Approach. Journal of Travel Research, 59(6), 1119–1139. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287519874131
11. Riley, R. and Van Doren, C.S. (1992) Movies as tourism promotion: a 'pull' factor in a 'push' location. In Tourism Management. Vol. 13. No.3. pp. 267-274.
12. Said, E., (1987&1994). Orientalism. New York: Vintage Books.
13. Said, E., (1994). Representations of the Intellectual: the 1993 Reith lectures. 1st Vintage Books ed. New York.
14. Tkalec, M., Zilic, I., and Recher, V. (2017). The effect of film industry on tourism: Game of Thrones and Dubrovnik. International journal of tourism research. Volume 19 (6). P. 705-714. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.2142
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2022 HSHAM ABURGHIF
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.