The Role of Governance in The Development of Universities
In the past decade, the unemployment rate amongst graduates from higher education systems in Arab countries had consistently grown higher, this unfortunate situation is as a result of the huge margin between the skills sought by the labor market and the skills acquired by higher education graduates.
This article Identifies the significance of university governance in tackling the current challenges of these higher institutions.
The existence of an effective university governance would not just contribute to knowledge production, it would as well equip its graduates to become useful, resourceful and productive members of society.
Corporate governance has become a vital component that will allow those in charge of institutions to mobilize resources, design, implement, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of performance, this ensures rational, informed and transparent decision making that leads to efficiency and effectiveness at the organizational level.
This article as well delves on a great number of Arab and foreign universities that applied and benefited from the governance model at local levels.
2. Braun, D. (1999) “Changing Governance Models in Higher Education: The Case of the New Managerialism” Swiss Political Science Review, Vol. 5, No. 3, St. Gallen.
3. Chan, S., (2007), The Convergence and Differentiation of Higher Education: A Comparison of Taiwan and Britain, The Development and Governance of Higher Education: Comparative Perspectives Conference. National University of Tainan.
4. Corcoran A., & Suzanne J., (2004). Duty, Discretion and Conflict: University Governance and the Legal Obligations of University Boards. Australian Universities' Review, 46 (2), 30-37.
5. Dee, J., (2006), Institutional Autonomy and State-level Accountability: Loosely Coupled Governance and the Public Good, In Tierney, W.: Governance and the Public Good, State University of New York Press, Albany: NY.
6. Degerstedt, J.J. (2000). A university for the 21st century. The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor.
7. Ehrenberg, R. (2004), Governing Academia, Cornell University Press, Ithaca.
8. Fabric and Alexander,2008, Governance and quality guidelines in Higher Education, OECD.
9. Geuna, A.,& Muscio A.,(2009),The Governance of University Knowledge Transfer: A Critical Review of the Literature, Minerva: A Review of Science, Learning and Policy, 47 (1), 93-114.
10. Gregory, Holly J. et . Al, 2002, Comparative Study Of Corporate Governance Codes Relevant To The European Union And Its Member States, EASD, European Association Of Securities Dealers.
11. Halawa J. and Taha N. (2012). Governance in Al Quds University. Algerian Institutions Performance Magazine.
12. Henke M.(2007), Can Academic Autonomy Survive in The Knowledge Society? A perspective from Britain, Higher Education Research & Development, 26( 1), 66- 89.
13. Kim T., (2007), Changing University Governance and Management in the U.K and Elsewhere Under Market Conditions: Issues of Quality Assurance and Accountability, London: Brunei University.
14. Kostyuk, Alexander N., et.al,2007, Corporate Governance, Virtus Interprets, Ukraine. Lee, Lung S., & Land, H., (2010), What University Governance Can Taiwan Learn from the United States? Online Submission, Paper presented at the International Presidential Forum, Harbin, China.
15. Salmi, J. (2009), The Challenge of Establishing World-Class Universities, World Bank, Washington, D.C.
16. Shattock, M. (2006). Managing good governance in higher education. Open University Press, Berkshire.
17. Sherif O.,(2007), Laws Governing Higher Education in Egypt, University Governance Conference; A key to Effective Higher Education in Egypt, Back ground paper, Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
18. Shleifer, Andrei and Vishny, Robert W.,1997, A Survey of Corporate Governance, The Journal Of Finance . Vol. LII, No. 2.
19. Tilley, A.G. (1998). University governance and policy-making. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, Vol. 20, No.1, pp.5-11.
20. Trakman, L.( 2011) “Modelling University Governance.” University of New South Wales.
21. McKenzie, Phillip.(2003). EDUCATION POLICY ANALYSIS 2003.OECD.ORG
22. Galaz-Fontes, J.F.(2012). Faculty and Institutional Governance in American Higher Education.
23. John V. Lombardi and Diane D. Craig and Elizabeth D. Capaldi Denise S. Gater. ( 2002 ) . University Organization, Governance, and Competitiveness. The Top American Research Universities An Annual Report from The Lombardi Program on Measuring University Performance
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2021 Tariq moahammed Althwaini , Mafugie Darboe , Mohammed Ahmed Mosa Alshahrani , Faisal Obeid Hamoud Alharbi
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.