Enhancing the Role of Saudi Women in Community Development in Light of the Kingdom’s 2030 Vision
This paper focuses on the importance of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 in strengthening the role of Saudi women through developing their social status and empowering them in various fields, including political, medical, educational, technical, health, scientific, and sports fields. This study sheds light on the social position of women in the figured world from different countries, especially in the Middle East, by answering the fundamental human question “who am I in the world” regarding women. After noting the obstacles that women are facing in their communities and how they suffer from being shaped by these obstacles, I demonstrate some possibilities for helping women to engage in a dialogue with their society as a way to understand themselves and help others understand what they want to be in the world. Some of these solutions involve women’s engagement with different practices using artifacts, such as dancing, singing, creating artworks, and using their bodies to convey their message to other people in the world. In this paper, I present a personal visual reflection of how women struggle between two different worlds - East and West. One of my paintings reflects what women want to be in their world by giving them a space of freedom to express themselves without the restrictions that would prevent them from having positive interaction with their community. Finally, this paper describes the significant role of Vision 2030 in supporting Saudi women allowing them to author themselves in their community and providing them with many opportunities to build their society and contribute effectively to development and progress in various fields.
2. Al-Khorayef, R. (2018, March 11). المرأة السعودية في اليوم العالمي للمرأة [Saudi women on International Women’s Day]. Retrieved from https://www.aleqt.com/2018/03/11/article_1347581.html
3. Al Mutrek, N. (2018, September 23). المرأة في "عهد الرؤية" .. قدرة وجدارة على تعزيز خريطة التنمية [Women in “era of vision” .. the ability and merit to strengthen the development map]. Retrieved from https://www.aleqt.com/2018/09/23/article_1458701.html
4. Al-Omani, F. (2020, March 4). اليوم العالمي للمرأة السعودية [International Saudi Women’s Day]. Retrieved from https://www.alarabiya.net/amp/saudi-today/views/2020/03/04
5. Al-Suhail, K. (2019, April 1). يوم المرأة السعودية [Saudi Women’s Day]. Retrieved from https://www.aleqt.com/2019/04/01/article_1571821.html
6. Berger, J. (1972). Ways of seeing. U.K: Penguin Books.
7. Crenshaw, K. (2015, September 24). Why intersectionality can’t wait. The Washington Post.
8. Dieudonne, S., & Scherbel-Ball, N. (2016). 100 women 2016: Female Arab cartoonists challenge authority. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38103902
9. Eatif, M. (2019, March 8). في اليوم العالمي للمرأة (2019) .. السعوديات يؤكدن ريادتهن [On International Women’s Day (2019).. Saudi women confirm their leadership]. Retrieved from https://sabq.org/dRFcTk
10. Holland, D., Lachicotte, W., Skinner, D., & Cain, C. (1998). The women who climbed up the house. In A. B. Smith (Ed.), Identity and agency in cultural worlds (pp. 3-18). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
11. Jafari, A. (2019, March 9). السعودية: المرأة تتصدر المشهد الوطني احتفاء بيومها العالمي – حزمة فعاليات عززت دورها و استعرضت إنجازاتها [ Saudi Arabia: Women are at the forefront of the national scene to celebrate their International Day – a package of events that enhanced their role and showcased their achievements]. Retrieved from https://aawsat.com/home/article
12. Merino, A. (2015). The female body and identity: Four artists from body & soul: New international ceramics\ museum of arts and design. Visual Culture & Gender, 10.
13. Naseer, A. (2020, July 5). تمكين المرأة في السعودية .. مقاعد قيادية بقطار التنمية 2030 [Empowering women in Saudi Arabia.. leadership seats in the 2030 development train]. Retrieved from https://al-ain.com/article/empowering-women-ksa
14. Okaz. (2018, March 8). المرأة السعودية.. في يومها العالمي إنجاز و نجاح [Saudi women.. on their international day, achievement and success]. Retrieved from https://www.okaz.com.sa/last-stop/na/1621801
15. Rowsell, J., Kress, G., & Street, B. (2013). Visual optics: Interpreting body art, three ways. Visual Communication, 12(1), 97-122.
16. Saudi Press Agency. (2018, March 4). مركز الملك عبد العزيز للحوار الوطني ينظم فعاليات اليوم العالمي للمرأة 2020 [King Abdul-Aziz Center for National Dialogue organizes International Women’s Day 2020 activities]. Retrieved from https://www.spa.gov.sa/2042728
17. Saudi Press Agency. (2018, December 23). جنادرية / ندوة "المرأة" .. رؤية المملكة 2030 أعطات اهتماما خاصا بتوظيف المرأة السعودية [Al-Janadriyah / “women” symposium.. The Kingdom’s Vision 2030 gave special attention to the employment of Saudi women]. Retrieved from https://www.spa.gov.sa
18. Saudi Press Agency. (2019, April 26). "المرأة السعودية" تسير بطموح و تمكين في رؤية 2030 [“Saudi women” march with ambition and empowerment in Vision 2030]. Retrieved from https://www.spa.gov.sa/1917425
19. Saudi Press Agency. (2020, February 11). السعوديات يسطرن في "اليوم العالمي للمرأة في ميدان العلوم" أبرز إنجازاتهن العلمية [ Saudi women highlight on “International Women’s Day in the field of science” their most prominent scientific achievements]. Retrieved from https://www.spa.gov.sa/viewfullstory.php?newsid=2033139
20. Saudi Press Agency. (2020, July 14). تمكين المرأة السعودية و رفع نسبة حصتها في سوق العمل قلص الفجوة بين القوى العاملة بين الجنسين [Empowering Saudi women and increasing their share in the labor market, reducing the gender gap between the workforce]. Retrieved from https://www.spa.gov.sa/viewfullstory.php?newsid=2110032
21. Sfard, A., & Prusak, A. (2005). Telling identities: In search of an analytic tool for investigating learning as a culturally shaped activity. Educational Researcher, 34(4), 14-22.
22. United National Platform. (2018). الدكتورة تماضر الرماح: المملكة حرصت على توسيع مشاركة المرأة في جميع مجالات التنمية [Dr. Tamader Al-Ramah: The Kingdom is keen to expand the participation of women in all areas of development]. Retrieved from https://www.my.gov.sa/wps/portal/snp/pages/news/newsDetails/CONT-news-715032018
23. Voloshinov. (1929/73). Verbal interaction. Marxism and the philosophy of language. New York: Seminar Press.
الحقوق الفكرية (c) 2021 Dr. Merfat Mohammed Mahdi Bassi
هذا العمل مرخص حسب الرخصة Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.